Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sinead O'Connor, Symphony Center

I got an e-mail from my friend Will Briarwood earlier today. He sent me a concert review...



I keep meaning to tell you about some of the shows I’ve seen recently – I’ll try to send my reviews when I get around to writing them…






Who / When / Where: Sinead O’Connor / Sunday, September 23, 2007 / I think it’s called Symphony Center, at Orchestra Hall

Notes: They had problems with their sound all evening – I don’t know if it was their equipment, or the sound guys, or what.

Good show. Good mix of old songs and new songs (see setlist below). A bunch of songs from her second record.

Her first husband still plays drums with her, after all these years.

She still has most of that amazing voice. I am concerned that if she keeps smoking as much as I’ve heard she does, that she’s going to end up like Joni Mitchell.

Went by myself – Mary wasn’t interested in going.

Highlights: “In This Heart” was great. So was “Black Boys On Mopeds.”

I Wish She Had Played: “Jackie.”

Moron Factor: There was this young couple next to me, who showed up right as Sinead’s set started, and talked on and off all through it. It sounded like he had an accent, maybe Russian – I don’t generally confront talkers during a show, especially if they might be Russian drug dealers… Other than that, the crowd was pretty well behaved.

Opening Act: Damien Dempsey. Sort of a Damien Rice on steroids. He was quite good, and I saw that he was selling a lot of cd’s in the lobby after his set.

Reviews: Daily Herald, Concert Live Wire.

Setlist / Recording:

At dime. Downloaded it, have not burned to cd and listened yet. Setlist, per the taper:

1 EMPERORS NEW CLOTHES
2 STRETCHED ON YOUR GRAVE
3 THIEF OF YOUR HEART
4 THE LAMBS BOOK OF LIFE
5 NEVER GET OLD
6 SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL
7 VINEYARD
8 THREE BABIES
9 WHAT DOESN'T BELONG TO ME

1 NOTHING COMPARES TO YOU
2 THANK YOU FOR HEARING ME
3 IN THIS HEART
4 LAST DAY OF OUR ACQUAINTANCE
5 ENCORE APPLAUSE
6 BLACK BOYS ON MOPEDS
7 RIVERS OF BABYLON
8 SONG FROM THE WATER HORSE
9 BAND INTRO AND OUTRO

WB

No comments: