Monday, November 06, 2006

Climbing

There’s an election tomorrow here in the US. The Chicago Bears lost yesterday, for the first time this season; Northwestern won for the first time in over a month. And my friend Will Briarwood wanted to talk about what’s most important to him these days.

“My cat’s doing pretty well after his surgery. For the first time in a month, he climbed to the top of the cat tree.”

That’s pretty impressive.

“And he wasn’t in pain this morning, as he has been sometimes after exerting himself.”

Did you see Mutts today? It’s Shelter Stories week again.

“Yeah, I did. I think I read that the cat in the comic lost his leg from a trap, rather than from cancer. I tell you, I don’t have too many heroes these days, but Patrick McDonnell is definitely one.”

I know you’ve mentioned that Bruce Springsteen is a hero. Who else?

“Ummm. Let me get back to you.”

No comments: