Thursday, March 08, 2007

Lost Cats


I was talking to my friend Will Briarwood, and he was not happy.

“I think I’m going to stop watching Lost.”

We discussed Lost recently – I didn’t think you were ready to give up on it.

“What did you think of last night’s episode?”

SPOILER ALERT – we are going to discuss episode number 59, “Enter 77,” which was on US tv yesterday, March 7, 2007.

It was pretty good, I guess. A bit violent.

“What about the cat being abandoned in the jungle at the end?”

That did bother me.

“It bothered me a lot. They wouldn’t have done that to a dog.”

By ‘they,’ you are referring to the writers and/or producers of Lost.

“Any tv show’s writers and producers. It’s always ok to have a cat being abused, but they would never show a character leaving a dog to die in the jungle.”

Slow down, let’s think about this. Perhaps The Others will come to investigate the explosion, and they’ll find the cat and take care of it.

“I’ll bet you anything that the show never refers to that cat again. Or the horse we saw, or the cow.”

But you must have appreciated the scene where the Iraqi woman talks about rescuing the alleycat.

“Yes, it was good that she rescued the cat. But the writers would not have written the scene with a dog being tortured.”

They did not show any animal abuse on screen. The Iraqi woman’s cat seemed to be cared for – it showed that she still had compassion in her, despite being tortured herself.

“Yes, yes, that was a nice touch. It’s just that I hate to see animal abuse, especially involving cats, being used as a plot device.”

I found myself thinking about all the cats on Maui.

“That’s right, they film Lost in Hawaii. I did read that there is a serious cat overpopulation problem there.”

Seeing that cat abandoned in the jungle, I was thinking of all the starving cats in Hawaii. And the ones that are not starving are eating the endangered bird species.

“I was thinking about Carlita.”

Umm…

“Rose’s cat on Invasion. When the show ended, there were several cliffhangers left unresolved, including whether Carlita survived everything.”

Do you think that Lost will answer some of our questions in the remaining episodes this season?

“Actually, I think that Eyepatch Guy may have answered some questions last night, when he talked about the conflict between the Dharma scientists and The Others.”

One more thing bothered me about last night’s show – when did Locke become so dumb?

“Yeah, ignoring a dangerous captive so he could go play chess. Pretty dumb.”

You are going to keep watching, aren’t you?

“Yeah, I will. Just so I can say ‘I told you so’ when they never refer to the lost cat again.”

No comments: